Pumpkin Butter that’s spreadable and creamy, crafted with all of the aromatic fall spices, and naturally sweetened with earthy coconut sugar. Spread on toast, add to oatmeal, or blend a spoonful into your next cafe latte.
Not being able to binge eat on all-things pumpkin since moving to Turkey this year has been a wee bit of a downer. Thankfully, I have a friend Rose, who fixed just that! Actually, it was her homegrown pumpkin varieties that really hit home. I decorated my living space with some jack belittles and orange and white gourds.
This amazing pumpkin butter is made with curry pumpkin. If you are unable to get your hand on a curry pumpkin, feel free to explore with the Queensland blue ( what’s commonly used in Turkey), butternut, or kabocha squash. All would be great—though the flavor may differentiate.
Ingredients to Make Pumpkin Butter
Pumpkin Puree. Either use canned pumpkin or homemade pumpkin puree. Since finding a can of pumpkin puree is merely impossible here in Turkey, I made my own.
Coconut Sugar will add a smokey, earthy, and sweet flavor. Feel free to swap for pure maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey.
Spices like the good ol’ pumpkin spice blend from Trader Joe’s, cinnamon, black pepper, and sea salt.
Honey will add stickiness, though you can swap for pure maple syrup or agave nectar.
And that’s all you need! Easy, peasy.
Tips and Variations
Make sure to cook the pumpkin puree over low heat. This will aid in getting rid of excess water and won’t burn your pumpkin. Again, low and slow are key.
Though this pumpkin butter is delicious as is, adding one of these ingredients can add a fun twist.
- Fresh ginger slices. Make sure to strain and remove before serving.
- Use half apple sauce and half pumpkin butter.
- For a deep, rich flavor, use molasses.
Looking for More Delicious Recipes? Try These!
- Cucumber Melon Salad with Ginger Dressing
- Mediterranean Cranberry Bean Stew with Celery Root
- Cozy Apple Tea with Cinnamon and Clove
Need More Living Inspiration? Read These Articles.
- The Art of Finding Joy in Daily Life
- How Caring For Plants Inspires Wellness
- 6 Ways Using a Bolster in Yoga Encourages Health
Pumpkin Butter Recipe (coconut sugar-sweetened)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree freshly made or from a can
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice I used Trader Joe's brand
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar add twice as much for extra sweet
- 1 tbsp honey use maple syrup for vegan
- pinch of sea salt
- In a small saucepan, add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, coconut sugar, honey, and a pinch of salt. Cook over low heat, uncovered, stirring frequently for about 20 minutes or until thickened.
- When ready, transfer into a container with a lid and refridgerate for at least an hour.
- Smear over bread, enjoy with oatmeal, or dig in with a spoon.